Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pseudo Science / Immunation Fears Section Ideas

Immunization fears
  • Basis/origin of fears (misinformation, faith, distrust in "the man")
  • Intent of vaccines (prevent diseases in individuals, but more importantly, in the population at large. "Herd immunity")
  • Outbreaks as a result of lowered herd immunity
  • Criminal charges filed against anti-vaccination parents
distrust of science leading to rise of pseudo-science
  • homeopathy is extremely nutty, yet people buy into it on account of being so afraid of vaccines/big pharma
  • miracle cures
  • fear (ties into first section) that leads to distrust
  • distrust that arises from willful misleading for profit
lack of science understanding leading to rise of pseudo-science
  • faith's downplay of evolution-based thinking
  • faulty reporting (media) leading people to think science doesn't know what the heck it is thinking




5 comments:

  1. Hey Jer,
    I know you're not in my group but I read your blog and I feel inclined to post! I'm not sure if you are aware of the actress/comedian/playboy centerfold Jenny McCarthy but her son was diagnosed with Autism and she wrote a book called something like "Mother Warrior", I personally have never read it but I think she explains how she "cured" her son's autism. Might be something worth looking at! Another thing is that there used to be (still could be but I think I read that they don't do this anymore) small amounts of mercury in immunizations, it was used as a preservative...I think. Good luck on your paper!
    Jade Simms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm aware of Jenny McCarthy, and she was what got me thinking along these lines. There's a site called jennymccarthybodycount.com that both explains how what she's doing is wrong and attempts to quantify how much she's hurting things.

    Essentially, she thinks her "mother's intuition" knows better than the actual science does. The mercury in the vaccinations has been shown to not have any effect on autism, but, mor importantly, due to fears the mercury was removed from the vaccines prior to Jenny McCarthy's son getting vaccinated.

    The truth of the matter is that the age of vaccination is also the age when a child starts developing an outwardly detectable personality and language skills, so autism goes undetected until abnormalities in personality, language and skills make parents worry that something is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well! I can't tell you anything new lol! I had heard bits and pieces of such things...I think that people want so badly for their children to get "well" that they will try anything and any slight difference in behavior is considered being "healed". I don't really know much about Jenny McCathy's son or exactly how she "treats" his autism. Did she not vaccinate her son? I think your paper is going to be interesting, way to be original in regards to your topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jer,

    This is a great topic to choose, It seems very interesting and a topic that wouldn't normally be researched. I'm looking forward to see what you find as you research it and start your paper.

    Tiffany Bowden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade,

    Jenny McCarthy did vaccinate her son, but the vaccines used were manufactured after the mercury had been removed from the preservative -- despite all the research being unable to find a link between the mercury and autism, anyway.

    But even if the mercury DID have a link to autism, it wasn't in the vaccine Jenny McCarthy's son got.

    ReplyDelete